The Library Day in the Life Project is a semi-annual event coordinated by Bobbi Newman of Librarian by Day. Twice a year librarians, library staff and library students from all over the globe share a day (or week) in their life through blog posts, photos, video and Twitter updates.  Check out the wiki to learn more: http://librarydayinthelife.pbworks.com/w/page/42017739/Round-7,-July-25th-through-31st-2011

I knew today would be busy. There were a lot of items on my “to-do” list that needed to be done before I left for Digipalooza tomorrow. I started the day off by arriving to work twenty minutes early because I knew I had the first reference desk shift of the day. That means that lights need to be turned on, money counted and locked away, guest passes printed, and study room and reference statistics sheets put out.

Normally the first hour of the day is the slowest. Not today. I was hopping for the full two hours. I had a lot of interaction with patrons about their favorite books they have been reading this summer as they were logging hours and claiming their prizes. Sunday is our last day of Summer Reading 2011. It has gone by so fast. One patron even shared that she picked out a book last year for her thirty hour prize that sounded way different than her normal reading, and it ended up being a series she became addicted to and has now talked several relatives into reading in the past year. Great motivation to keep a wide variety of books on the 30 hr prize cart.

I had some chat time with the director today about anticipated staffing needs for the coming year. I then ate lunch in my office while watching a CASSIE staff informational video. It was very boring, but informative. There was no sound. Just a very long, slow, series of images with word bubbles…  So much more that could have been done! When I finished that I wrote an email to the Assistant Director and Head of Technical Services asking a laundry list of questions that came to mind while watching the horrible video. I may not like the video, but I do like what I have seen of the system for reserving PCs. I sent the video and user manual to the reference and teen departments as the first part in their introduction to the new system.

I then had another hour of the reference desk. I didn’t realize until I went out there that I was hosting a Day in the Life tour. This is an initiative our AD started a few months ago to get people to understand, appreciate, and get excited about what happens in other departments around the library besides the one you work at. So, I tried to do a tour for one of our long time circ clerks, but we were so busy that parts of it did get rushed. She was a good sport, and she did learn some things that she had no idea about before today. This has been a wonderful program that I hope the library continues forever in some way.

Late afternoon was filled with writing and re-writing paragraphs for two grant applications. We really want to hold financial literacy classes and start a few new series of specialized advanced computer classes, but need some funding to make it happen. Fingers crossed!

It took me longer to tidy up my desk and deal with details this evening. I didn’t get out of there until six-thirty. I am tired, but happy that I was able to get so much done this week despite it being a three day week for me.